Saturday, February 20, 2016

My Magic Carpet Story

What was the magic carpet that introduced me to the whole new world of Asian drama?

I was introduced to Korean dramas in the April of 2013.  I’d seen The Empress and Unni-Maknae plus two other close friends talking about them on their blogs and they had also mentioned them in emails sometimes.

At the time I was beta reading one of The Empress’s novels and during our email chatting, I asked her what some of her favorite music was.  She sent me a couple videos of Korean musical singer Park Eun Tae.  I watched them, liked them and, capitulating to my insatiable curiosity, asked her for recommendations on Korean dramas; saying: "If I do wind up watching and liking kdramas, can I blame you and (another friend) for getting me addicted?"

She replied: "One of the best is Gaksital.  It’s an incredible story of one person’s journey from villain to hero and of another’s fall."  Incidentally, this is still the best one line description of Gaksital that I have ever heard and I've quoted it multiple times.

I clicked on the clip she sent, a scene where the heroine is about to undergo torture and the two leads, both of whom are in love with her, are helpless to stop it.  The combination of anger, grief, frustration, love and helplessness on their faces (especially the hero's) and in their body language caught my attention immediately, as well as the actual action in the scene.  Characters are very important to me and those two had my attention from 10 seconds into the clip.  I emailed her back: "That first clip of Gaksital ripped me open!  Such amazing and powerful emotion in those characters' faces!"

I spent that Saturday watching Gaksital (also known as Bridal Mask) clips on YouTube and then started the first episode.  Ironically, though I adore the drama and rate it one of my top five favorites, it took me a long time to finish it, because I kept taking breaks from it for one reason or another.  Eventually, I did finish it and consider it one of the best stories I've ever seen or read.  A whole new world had opened for me and there was no going back.

City Hunter was my second kdrama.  The Empress had included a trailer for it when she sent me the Gaksital clip and I watched the trailer several times that first weekend.  I watched City Hunter during one of my breaks from Gaksital (and also used the drama to interest my Mom in kdramas).  It swiftly became one of my favorites and at several points throughout the drama I sent Empress and Unni Maknae emails full of rambling about how well it was written, how gripping the storyline was and how much the drama was taking over my life.  When I finished it one night around midnight, I could not to go to bed without sending The Empress and Unni Maknae an emotionally charged email full of "Wow, that drama was one of the BEST stories I've ever seen, read or heard and I can't remember the last time a story gutted me like this."

Over the last two-and-a-half years, I’ve seen several dramas from South Korea, Japan and China; am currently in the middle of watching nine different dramas (yes, at the same time- it's complicated) and have watched trailers and clips for many more.  My ‘to watch‘ list is ten miles long.  I can remember and rattle off the names of Korean, Japanese, Taiwanese and Chinese actors more quickly than many western actors and one of my favorite things to do is pick out all of the background actors I recognize from other dramas.

I don’t really have a preferred style of drama, other than ‘epic’.  I watch a wide variety of genres, but anything with complicated, well-written plots, layered characters, great fight scenes and plenty of suspense is almost always a favorite.  It's even better if the drama has gorgeous costumes/fashion.

My top five favorite kdramas are: Liar Game, Gaksital/Bridal Mask, City Hunter, Healer and The Three Musketeers.  I eagerly anticipate introducing them to you, and many other dramas as well, with my partners-in-crime.




4 comments:

Unknown said...

EEEP. Nice to meet someone else who's first kdrama was Gaksital!!! Kang To is my baby XD

Faith said...

Oh man! You make me really really want to watch Gakistal which is saying a lot since I try not to watch super heartbreaking K-dramas as much anymore, hehe. "Epic" K-dramas are seriously the best. I'm gonna use that now to describe my favorite genre because it explains it so well.

The Ambassador said...

@Lisa,
Kang To is heartbreakingly brilliant and remains my favorite Joo Won role so far.

@Faith,
Gaksital is AMAZING and I look forward to your opinion if you do decide to watch it.

Erudessa Aranduriel said...

You're Beautiful was my first. Then Boys Over Flowers which got boring at episode 7 so I quit that and am now watching Healer which has become my absolute favorite K-drama (yes I know I have only seen about 1 and 2 halves k-dramas period, buuuut.....) and I would be overjoyed to sit down and finish it all at one shot, but Mom and Older Sister are CRUEL and won't let me.