Monday, December 19, 2016

WWW ~ December 2016

And here we come to the last WWW of the year.  Keep your eyes out for a post about our Top Drama Faves of 2016!


KOREAN:
~ Hwarang: the Beginning
Empress: Psh, yes? I have been a loooong-term fan of the Hwarang, and was thrilled that a drama was going to be made. So far, it doesn't like it's going to be the Six-Flying-Dragons-version that I wanted, but I'm still definately going to see exactly what kind of version it is, and hopefully it'll still be great.
Ambassador: I've been looking forward to this since it was announced.  I'm keen to know more about the Hwarang.  This looks like it's going to take it to the level of cute idol drama set in history, and I was hoping for a more serious drama but it's really too early to tell one way or the other and I'm still greatly interested.  Especially with such names as Park Seo Joon, Park Hyung Sik, and SHINEE's Minho.
Unni: Um....YES!!!


~ Goblin
Empress: NAW, NOT INTERESTED, NOT MY THING, NOT A FAN OF THE WRITER, PLOT'S TOO WEIRD...and then  I kept seeing adorable pictues and watched the first two episodes, and... Korea has some fascinating legends, and so far this is a good blend of fantasy going cute instead of creepy. XD
Ambassador: I wasn't going to for a few different reasons: 1- it's not my kind of drama, 2- It's written by Kim Eun Sook and even though she did a good job with DOTS, she had a fantastic co-writer on that one and I still haven't wiped the bad K.E.S. taste from my mouth after Heirs.  But a close friend suggested I should so I'm going to at least try it.  Also, I'm keen to see Lee El again, after her stellar performances in White Christmas and Liar Game.
Unni: O.O *backs away slowly* Okay if anyone does ghost and goblin stories well, it’s Asia, they are really a thing here but no thank you. Ratings and ravings here are off the charts and I am like...no thanks....
Empress: See, that's what I said...but Korean goblins do not appear to be like Western-World goblins...so I'll see if it goes the wrong direction or not. XD


~ Solomon's Perjury
Empress: YES. I am half-way through the Japanese movie series, which got interesting as soon as the student started setting up the trial, and very much looking forward to a Korean version. You can't repeat White Christmas, but if this is anything similar, I will like it.
Ambassador: Sounds a bit like WC?  I'm definitely watching it for sheer curiosity's sake.  The female lead was a child actress in a few other dramas I've seen and she was good.  I'm interested to see how she transitions to older roles.
Unni: I don’t want stories about dead bodies right now...no thank you.


~ Seven First Kisses
Fairy/angel grants the wish of a girl who helped her out.  The girl wants a boyfriend, the angel gifts her seven amazing men to choose from.  Promo webdrama for Lotte Duty Free.
Empress: *grins* a) this method of advertising just...wow...why doesn't everyone do that? b) THIS IS HILARIOUS c) DUH I'm watching it and will spend the entire time cracking up.
Ambassador: Hmm.  Let's just take a look at the lineup of leads for it:
EXO's Kai
2PM's Taecyeon
PARK HAE JIN
LEE JONG SUK
LEE MIN HO
JI CHANG WOOK
LEE JOON GI
It's every fangirl's fantasy come true (makes me wonder who the brains are behind it) and I'm absolutely watching no matter how cheesy it gets.
Unni: I have a feeling I’ll end up screaming my way through this one...screams of laughter, embarrassment hiding, fangirling...whatever. My pillow will probably be stuffed in my face for half of this.


CHINESE:
~ Candle in the Tomb
Empress: O.o specialization in tomb configuration??? I did not know that was a thing. I'm kind of intrigued - if it's a psychological thriller, I'll go for it...if it's more spooky/supernatural...no thanks.
Ambassador: Archaeology, danger and friendship in a cdrama.  Sounds like something I'd like.
Unni: This one just creeps me out!!!!


~ Bu Liang Ren Season 2
Empress: Getting a sword is a very common theme, is it not? XD If there are literal kids in it, I'm kind of intrigued, but probably not intrigued enough to watch it any time soon.
Ambassador: Typical wuxia fare but I'm interested, some far future date.
Unni: Skipping, interesting but skipping.


TAIWANESE:
~ Miss in Kiss
Another installment in the Playful Kiss/It Started With A Kiss franchise.  Being touted as a remake of the original It Started With a Kiss TW drama.
Empress: I just rewatched Playful Kiss. XD I can't deal with another version right now. (Even though I actually liked it a lot more the second time through. Weirdly.)
Ambassador: Maybe?  After I watch the Japanese original and the Korean remake and the Taiwanese original.
Unni: I have hated every version of this story! I CAN’T DO IT!!!! But I am going to try again because I am living in Taiwan and see how it goes.


~ The King of Romance
Empress: I'm curious if it's supposed to be that she's actually Jade Girl or if she just thinks she is? It sounds like a twist on the usual love triangle...I'm up for fantasy but when we get angels-reincarnated-as-humans I'm a little skeptical. XD
Ambassador: I don't usually go for star-crossed lovers rom-coms but this one with the time and history undertones looks pretty intriguing.  Lego Li is a pretty popular actor with several tw-entertainment bloggers I follow, but I've not yet watched one of his dramas.
Unni: *bangs head into wall* We’ll see....


Which of these year-end dramas will you be watching?

2 comments:

Faith said...

Aww nice to see the WWW posts, ladies!

Hmm, what am I checking out this December?

Definitely Hwarang: The Beginning. Sadly, I went from being so hyped for this and then my expectations crashing and burning after some drama disappointments and seeing Hwarang's dorky posters. However... there is still hope. I have a feeling its going to be more wacky, silly, but if they play the humor right it might work. I've wanted to see more about the Hwarang since watching Queen Seondeok. And of course Six Flying Dragons. :D

Seven First Kisses, lol. What a line up. Of course I'm watching!! If I can find the show online though.

The Ambassador said...

Glad you enjoy the posts!

I was still pretty keen on Hwarang, and after seeing the first episode, I'm definitely going to keep going for a while. Have you started it yet?