Monday, August 29, 2016

The Moon Peeps Over the Horizon... FINALLY

Ambassador:
I promised a post listing specifically what I'm most excited about in the now airing drama Moon Lovers.

Moon Lovers AKA Scarlet Heart: Ryeo is the Korean remake of the hugely popular Chinese drama Scarlet Heart, adapted from Tong Hua's novel of the same name.  Although I haven't technically watched Scarlet Heart all the way through (lots of clips, MVs, read multiple people's recaps of the whole thing, and read the partial fan translation of the novel) it's my favorite Chinese drama- currently tied with Ice Fantasy.  It's a gorgeous piece of storytelling and filmmaking.  I had been aware sometime early last year or before that that Korea had bought remake rights for the drama but no move was being made on it yet.

So I was over the moon (yes,  pun intended) when the project was greenlit for production and casting and filming and then airing this year.  Eagerly I followed every single bit of casting news, from the stars who would personify the beloved characters in a different light (LEE JOONGI AND KANG HA NEUL?  WERE THE CASTING DIRECTORS READING MY MIND?), to the secondary characters.  I sent the Empress and Unni and other friends emails and messages full of news.  I stalked news sites.  I pounced on every behind-the-scenes picture from the script reading to the wrap party.  Every poster.  The day the first trailer came out (the long one that was shown to Chinese audiences) was a red letter day for me and my fellow dramaphiles.  Every trailer since then I've seen multiple times.  Same with the interviews.  The press conference.  And finally, several hours ago, the first two episodes of this glorious drama aired and I am waiting eagerly for them to be subbed.

So why specifically am I so excited about this drama?
~ The original story is well written and the plot and pacing are excellent.
~ I love harem dramas.
~ I adore reverse harem dramas- they're one of my favorites.  To quote the Empress: 'IT'S LIKE...A DOZEN PUPPIES IN LOVE WITH HER...AND TWO TIGERS FIGHTING OVER HER.'
~ Palace dramas are also a huge favorite of mine.
~ I love history and this is about a lesser known time in Korean history.  As a someone who is frequently frustrated by the lack of English Language materials on Korean history, this will be gold.
~ Lee Joonki playing the Fourth Prince- it is going to be amazing.
~ Kang Ha Neul playing the Eighth Prince - he's one of my favorite Korean actors and I love that his range of roles is expanding.
~ Hong Jong Hyun playing the scheming Third Prince - HJH can do dark and sinister but still intriguing /very well/.  In an interview, cast members described his character as 'someone who doesn't seem real' 'super evil' and 'someone who should be locked up' due to how bad the character is... and I'm eagerly looking forward to it.
~ HAREM POLITICS - queens and empresses and wives head to head.  Yesss PLEASE.
~ Nam Joo Hyuk and Ji Soo's bromance
~ Baekhyun playing the rascal prince - and ohhhhh what a hilarious rascal.
~ Yoon Sun Woo's ninth prince - who he described in an interview as 'cunning' and someone else in the same interview described as 'greedy'
~ Z. Hera's warrior noblewoman
~ Seohyun's last princess of one of the Three Kingdoms turned gisaeng
~ Jo Min Ki as Taejo - from what I've been able to learn of Taejo, he was a very smart and cunning manager of people and politics.  I'm eager to see this portrayal of him.
~ The aura of the drama from the trailers is exactly my top favorite kind of aura.  100%. 

My only quibble?  As it stands right now, we're only supposed to get 20 episodes.  People.  That is not enough.  We need at least 24 and 30 would be better.

Empress:
To this most excellent of summaries I have little to add...I have been intrigued by Scarlet Heart ever since I first saw pictures of the drama on tumblr (and was first amazed by the everlasting number of princes apparently involved), but despite later hearing about the Ambassador's interest, it ended up becoming one of many Chinese dramas in my drama queue. A Korean remake definitely piqued my interest, however, and once I saw who was being cast, I knew I was going to watch it. The piece by piece release of information, posters, stills, and trailers served only to absolutely fascinate me. I mean...come on:
- based on a novel (I'm always biased for dramas based on previously written stories...it comes from being a voracious reader.)
- actors involved (Lee Jun Ki dramas tend to go on my immediate to-watch list until I find reason to remove them, and Kang Ha Neul dramas are getting close to that place. Those two alone would make me watch this, let alone the rest of the cast involved.)
- quality of filmography/direction evident in what has been released so far
- sheer number of relationships going to be explored in this drama
I am preemptively in love with the entire drama and fully prepared for my heart to be drama-destroyed, though a part of me insists on hoping that the remake involves some form of happy ending for at least a few more characters than the Chinese version. XD


Our beloved Unni is actually in Asia at the moment, once more teaching English in Taiwan.  Should she find time soon to add her thoughts about this drama, this post will be updated.


Are you planning to watch Moon Lovers?  Why or why not?

2 comments:

Faith said...

umm YES TO EVERYTHING HERE! I'm loving the show! It's also the first K-drama that I'm recapping the entire thing and I'm really having a blast. :D

The Ambassador said...

I haven't yet had time to check out your recaps but I'm looking forward to them!