Thursday, February 18, 2016

How it all got started...for the Unni Maknae

Unni–Maknae
Strange name you may say.
Unni means big sister and Maknae means baby. Which, I manage to be both in this group. I am the oldest, however by far I am the youngest and the least experienced in the K-Drama world so thus my name.

The words Korean Drama. I’d heard them various places from various bloggers but I never paid much heed, I’d watched a few foreign films but none of them ever struck me as something I wanted to pick up on a regular basis.

One day I received an email from The Empress of Random, raving on and on about this Korean drama City Hunter, and how it was fabulous and wonderful and I must watch it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Empress of Random is one of the few peoples opinions I do trust completely when she gives me a recommendation, however, something that lasted nearly 20 hours didn’t really spark my interest, so the poor Empress pleaded and pleaded in vain. Sending me all kinds of cool clips that I watched with mild interest, not really wanting to jump on board this new fad ship that seemed to be sailing around.

The fad did not end with the last episode of City Hunter, it went on to more and more dramas, until I started to worry, that I had lost my friend to this queer dark beast called, Korean dramas.

Then fate struck. She sent me a bunch of clips from dramas she hoped to watch.
In there, there was this one clip, of a girl, telling a man if it would take the pain away in his heart, to slay her, that she forgave him. Her words and attitude struck me, and I fell instantly in love with the drama and a burning desire to WATCH THE PRINCESS' MAN!



I fell in love.

Sageuks are my favorite style of drama and thank goodness they color coded everyone’s dress ,because at the beginning I was like oh…red dude, blue dude, green dude...I couldn’t for the life of me catch onto their names at first, and it didn’t help that I bounced back and forth between a few drama places and Romanization isn’t always consistent.



The Princess Man prompted me on to go immediately and watch City Hunter , which I did but after all of the emotions from those dramas…I felt I needed something lighter, and I stumbled upon my fall back drama style, my go to fluffy, happy, obsession drama.  A girl dressed as a boy who gets stuck in an nearly all boy situation and all of the problems that ensue.

Welcome to the blog! I hope you find and fall in love with your own Korean dramas and enjoy the journey.

Drama On!
Unni

2 comments:

Faith said...

The Princess' Man and City Hunter - fabulous "first" K-dramas to start off with. Love them both so much. I also love sageuks a lot (and had the same trouble recognizing people, hehe).

Unni said...

Haha! I am so glad I am not alone in that Faith! Sageuks are the BEST!!! I love them, the only thing is they aren't very good for learning Korean. :D Glad you're here for the ride! Your blog looks really cool! :D